Wednesday 26 October 2011

REDUX - Darell Hammond: If We Don't Let Our Children Play, Who Will Be the Next Steve Jobs?

-Darell Hammond: If We Don't Let Our Children Play, Who Will Be the Next Steve Jobs?

Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
Robert Fulgham



01/11/2011 - I have been thinking about this post over the last few weeks and mulling over it's content based on the new information (however accurate that may be) about the actual lifestyle, beliefs and actions of Steve Jobs. Not exactly new information, because I think we always instinctually knew that his actions always belied something different to the carefully spun public persona. 


Whilst I agree with the sentiment expressed in the article, that current education systems are set up to crush free thought, personal  innovation, query and independent action, I don't think I would wish a life full of obsession, paranoia and control on any child.   


Which is not me saying that Mr Jobs was bad, mean, wrong or any other thing you may perceive is implied. He was as much a product of his upbringing and environment as any of us, including myself, and he did the best with what life dealt him.  


My point is that the title of the article appears to imply that his life and lifestyle are things children should strive for.  They can if they want to, however, in my experience there is a lot more on offer in life than he had. 


RIP Steve Jobs.  

No comments: